Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Snow Bath at the Rohtang Pass | Alive is Awesome

Rohtang Pass is the entry point into the Lahaul and Spiti Valley of Himachal Pradesh. The Rohtang Pass is 52 kilometers from Manali, the honeymooners paradise. Every year thousand of travelers, tourists, and nomads cross this mighty pass by air, on vehicles, and on foot.

I had crossed this Pass on many occasions, on a motorcycle, on a truck, and in a car. However, this time I decided to walk across on foot.

Sound easy? eh!



Before we continue this story, let me tell you an interesting fact. The Rohtang Pass remains closed for four months because of excess snow. Those who have crossed this pass must know how difficult it is to cross this pass because of heavy winds and sharp gradient, which increases abruptly. In winters, when the pass is closed for any vehicular activity, people from the other side of the world (the Lahaul Valley) cross this pass on foot, in deep snow.

So, I crossed this pass during those times, when the wind was fast enough to blow me away, and the snow was deep enough for a burial.



And why did I do that?

Because I wanted to experience their life. And as Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight said, "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger." It was surely a thrilling experience and it reminds me of Alive is Awesome lines. These lines perfectly describe my journey across the Rohtang Pass in deep snow.

To make it more interesting, it turned out to be an Alive is Awesome bathing experience when I fell down twice and snow slowly slipped inside my jacket. The snow was soft and it was impossible to place foot firmly. Once I realized it wasn't going to help me, I decided to let it happen.

Soon I started rolling down and I was all covered in snow. It was the weirdest bath of my life, and most amazing one too. After rolling down for close to 20-25 meters, I decided to apply brakes.

Playing with snow at 4000 meters, that too on the top of Rohtang Top, which literally translates too "piles of corpses" is never a good idea.

But, what the heck!

I did it because being Alive is Awesome :)



P.S. Because I was alone, I couldn't record any video but just photograpgs


No comments: